About the Department of Accounting and Finance
Within the Bissett School of Business, the Department of Accounting and Finance includes a BBA major in accounting and BBA concentrations in financial analysis and financial services. Both disciplines are highly respected within their respective industries for preparing career ready graduates.
Recognizing that Mount Royal University is located within the traditional lands of the Niitsitapi (Blackfoot), Îyârhe Nakoda, Tsuu T’ina nations and is also home to the Metis Nation of Alberta, Region III, the Faculty of Business and Communication Studies is committed to meeting the educational needs of all Indigenous peoples and their allies. We value Indigenous knowledge and promote the use of culturally-responsive pedagogies and practices, and promote partnerships with Indigenous learners, families and communities. Indigenous applicants are encouraged to apply.
About the Role
The Department of Accounting and Finance in the Bissett School of Business invites applications for the position of Department Chair, Accounting and Finance, with tenure at the rank of Associate or Full Professor, which will commence on June 1, 2019.
• Provide the vision and support for faculty to continue to advance curriculum innovation and scholarly activity in their disciplines
• Engage with external partners, both academic and business, which is integral to the success of the accounting and finance programs
• The successful candidate will have demonstrated their ability in building important professional relationships. Notably the close collaboration with accrediting bodies such as CPA and CFA will be an essential component of the Chair’s responsibilities.
• Active support for student learning and experiential opportunities is an important expectation for the role of Chair.
In collaboration with department colleagues, the Chair will be expected to provide leadership by guiding the future direction of the Department, Accounting and Finance. The Chair will be expected to:
• Maintain and communicate a sense of direction
• Act as a responsible advocate for the Department
• Encourage respect for a range of career paths and different forms and fields of teaching and scholarship
• Foster values of fairness, excellence, and collaboration
• Maintain a sense of pride, achievement, and community among all members including students, staff, and faculty of the Department.
In terms of administrative capabilities, the Chair will be expected to:
• Work within the practices and policies of the university including various collective agreements
• Be responsible for following and shaping departmental policy to ensure effective, efficient and collegial operation of the Department
• Provide mentorship and direction to individual members of the Department (including tenure-track and new hires)
• Work effectively as a representative on the advisory council to the Dean of Business and Communication Studies
• Ensure that Department interests are well represented in university level initiatives.
The successful applicant will have either a CPA, CFA or equivalent certification. The position will be at the Associate or Full Professor rank, requiring applicants to currently hold a tenured position at a Universities Canada recognized institution. Academic credentials require a Masters, with preference for a PhD and demonstrated leadership experience, preferably as a Chair or equivalent.
The successful candidate will have excellent interpersonal skills and an ability to balance strong leadership qualities with demonstrated administrative capabilities. Candidates should also demonstrate an understanding of the challenges associated with leading an interdisciplinary department, appreciate the diversity of our community, and exhibit skills as a consensus builder.
Closing Date: Monday, January 14th
Please apply directly on our website: https://mtroyalca.hua.hrsmart.com/hr/ats/Posting/view/591
Applications should include a letter of interest, curriculum vitae, statement demonstrating experience and excellence in leadership, a statement of teaching philosophy, evidence of recent teaching excellence, a statement of scholarly interests, and three (3) reference letters covering various dimensions of your professional life (leadership, teaching, departmental colleagues, etc.).
For further information concerning the position please contact Dr. Elizabeth Evans, Dean, Faculty of Business and Communication Studies, 403.440.6315 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
For further information regarding Mount Royal University and the Bissett School of Business within the Faculty of Business and Communication Studies may be found at www.mtroyal.ca.