POST-DOCTORAL FELLOWSHIP – UQAM, CANADA – Technology, Work and Family
RESEARCH UNIT: International Network on Technology, Work and Family (INTWAF) at the School of Management of the University of Québec in Montréal
Professor Ariane OLLIER-MALATERRE and members of the INTWAF research team
DATES AND MODALITIES
• As soon as possible, over a period of 7 to 8 months (e.g., November 2021-June 2022).
• 20 hours per week, compensation according to the candidate’s profile.
• The post-doctoral fellow must reside in Canada during the fellowship. Remote work from anywhere in Canada is possible.
• Francophone applicants are encouraged to also apply for a FRQ post-doctoral grant (deadline October 13) to extend the initial period of the post-doctoral fellowship.
• Autonomous conduct of a research project on one or several of the themes listed below, in collaboration with Professor Ariane OLLIER-MALATERRE and colleagues from the INTWAF team who may be interested. The post-doctoral fellow will propose and initiate the research project.
• Possible research collaborations with Professor Ariane OLLIER-MALATERRE and colleagues from the INTWAF team on on-going research projects.
• Contribution to the networking and outreach activities of the INTWAF team and of the Technology, Work and Family community of the Work and Family Researchers Network.
• Contribution to research outreach at ESG UQAM.
Axis 1 – Technology and the blurring of boundaries between work and life
• Sources and forms of border erosion: constant connectivity (smartphones, tablets), context collapse on social media and enterprise social network, work from home and hybrid work (e.g., videoconferences), platform employment and gig economy.
• Digital cultural capital: skills to manage constant connectivity, self-presentation, and privacy.
• Social and gender inequalities vis-à-vis the erosion of borders and digital cultural capital.
Axis 2 – Technology and the meaning of work
• Electronic monitoring of employees (e.g., emails, cameras, bossware) and organizational control.
• Algorithmic work (e.g., motivation, psychological health, interpersonal relationships at work).
• Human-machine interactions at work (e.g., anthropomorphizing, perceptions of robots, chatbots and artificial intelligence).
Axis 3 – Technology and society
• Surveillance (e.g., facial recognition, e-commerce, social media, social credit systems in China, Africa).
• Attitudes towards privacy and surveillance.
• Legislation (e.g., right to disconnect, privacy).
The INTWAF team strives to conduct cross-national or contextualized research, i.e., analysing the context of the country or countries in which the phenomena are studied.
• Ph.D in management, sociology, communication, information systems, psychology, political science or a related field
• Sound knowledge of the literature in at least one of the research themes listed above.
• Solid methodological training; ideally, familiarity with qualitative methods and cross-national research.
• Experience in the autonomous conduct of a research project.
• Strong motivation for academic research and ambition to publish in international scholarly journals.
• English: Ability to read scientific literature and write papers in English; ideally, ability to contribute to meetings and present research in English.
Send the following documents to email@example.com as soon as you are ready:
• Curriculum vitae.
• Cover letter detailing your skills, experience and identity as a researcher.
• Research project in English (2-3 pages): proposal for a research project (new project or current project to which the INTWAF team can contribute) on one of the research themes listed above and presenting 1) a brief literature review, 2) the objective of the project, 3) the main theoretical framework/approach, 4) expected theoretical and practical contributions, and 5) methodology.
• 2 writing samples: scientific article, thesis chapter, conference paper; ideally in connection with the research program above.
Recruitment will close when the position has been filled.
For any questions, please contact Ariane OLLIER-MALATERRE: firstname.lastname@example.org